5 Things We Do Everyday That Makes Us Wrinkle
When we are young, we may not care so much about aging gracefully. I know I didn’t. We all think we’re invincible when we’re young. We know about all the side effects of staying out in the sun too long, smoking, and eating poorly but we still do it because we think we are too young to worry about tomorrow. But the truth is that it is never too early to begin taking action that prevents premature or rapid aging. Similarly, Medical experts say it’s never too late to start one. If you begin now, no matter what age you are, you will be sure to cut back some of the effects that aging has on your mind and body.
I have written several articles about the importance of adequate water intake, eating healthy, and living a healthy lifestyle, but what about those habits that can wreak havoc with the aging process? Habits like squinting in the sun and rubbing your eyes can deepen little lines around the eyes and cause you to appear older than you are.
- You may not realize it, but how you sleep is just as important as how much you sleep. That’s right! Sleeping on your stomach or side causes your face to press against the pillow and rapidly age your face by forming wrinkles and fine lines. Try using a softer pillow with a silk pillowcase so the pressure on the face will be lessened.
- Believe it or not, central heating and air conditioning is another culprit of youthful skin. Although not the cause of wrinkles, low-humidity environments and dry skin makes wrinkles more pronounced. Instead of blasting the central heating and cooling system, try adjusting it to a minimal level and putting on or taking off layers of clothing for further comfort.
- Another daily behavior that ages us is drinking through a straw or from a bottle. The repeated muscle motion of the puckering process can lead to fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth. Dermatologists advise those who are prone to fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth to avoid straws altogether; however, if you find that you cannot avoid drinking through a straw or from a bottle, try using a good moisturizing face cream.
- It may be difficult to believe this but your favorite TV shows are aging you. Research shows that after the age of 25, every hour of TV you watch shortens your life by 21.8 minutes! Those of us who watch six or more hours per day of TV apparently live 4.8 years less than those who don’t watch TV. Looking at these numbers, watching TV may have a similar effect as other risk factors such as obesity.
- Our attitude towards life results in signs that are written all over our faces as we age. Pessimistic individuals tend to frown and worry often. As we age, those frown and worry lines will be permanently engraved on our face. If we allow them to remain on our faces, we can expect those lines to deepen. Conversely, optimistic individuals are generally happy and go throughout the day with relaxed facial muscles and therefore, with the exception of smile lines, have less lines and wrinkles. Approaching life from the “glass half full” perspective and looking happy will make you look younger! It’s a “can’t lose” situation.
If you found this article to be helpful, check out other articles in the “notes” section of Facebook. You can also sign up for our newsletter to have these info articles and unbeatable deals delivered to your inbox. Go to DermalDab.com for more information.
- Dermal Dab